Watch for 2017 events coming soon!
Select 2016 Events:
Golden Beet Trials Field Day
When: June 30, 2:00 – 5:00 (followed by pizza dinner)
Where: Local Harvest Market, Chilliwack
Cost: $15 (includes pizza dinner!)
Join BC Seed Trials Lead Researcher, Alex Lyon from UBC at this Field Day which will focus on in-field observations and evaluation of golden beets. Golden beets are growing in popularity and hold the potential as a significant seed crop here in BC. This is a chance to get to know beets like never before!
We will look at 2 different beet fields at Local Harvest Farm:
- Golden and Chioggia Beet Seed Trials
- This is an opportunity to observe and assess a range of traits in a diverse selection of 12 different Golden and Chioggia beet varieties and discuss your observations with researchers and other growers
- Learn to identify various traits and recognize differences in each variety – then choose the ones you like best!
- Touchstone Gold Beet Seed Crop
- This beet seed crop, Touchstone Gold, was selected and stored in fall 2015 by Local Harvest Farmer Dan Oostenbrink with the help and mentorship of Mojave Kaplan of Planting Seeds Project. Close to 900 Touchstone Gold beet “stecklings” were then planted out in March 2016 under the advice of John Navazio, manager of Johnny’s Selected Seeds’ Plant Breeding Program and will mature in fall 2016!
- Observe this seed crop and assess it for its characteristics as a seed production crop
Don’t miss this great opportunity to enhance your seed production knowledge!
Unbeatable! Golden Beet Tasting
When: July 9, 2016: 9:30 – 12:00
Where: UBC Farm
Join Alex Lyon – BC Seed Trials Lead Researcher, and Rob Cleland – Executive Chef at Ash Street Bistro, at UBC Farm as we embark on the most pleasurable part of our seed trials research – the tasting! Get your palette ready to experience a diversity of flavours and textures; get your eyes ready to experience a diversity of colours, shapes, and sizes; and get your pen ready to praise your favourites and reject your foes!
After the tasting, take a guided tour through UBC Farm to see all the different seed-saving projects with UBC Farm Seed Hub Coordinator, Mel Sylvestre.
- 9:00 – 9:30 am: Pick up scorecards from registration/info table
- 9:30: Introduction to UBC Farm, the Bauta Initiative and the BC Seed Trials
- 9:45: Discuss concept of culinary breeding and prepare your palette to evaluate 10 different types of beets!
- 10:00 – 10:30: beet tasting & scorecard evaluation
- 10:45 – 11:00: Q & A; More tasting!
- 11:00: Join seed-focused farm tour
- 12:00 pm – onward: Enjoy the UBC farm Saturday Market!
Can’t wait to see you there!
John Navazio Workshops and Field Days
- Nanaimo: July 19 and 20, 2016
- Chilliwack: July 21, 2016
Nanaimo: Nanaimo Urban Farm
Chilliwack: Local Harvest Market
Join Organic Plant Breeder John Navazio for these two workshops and Field days to explore a range of plant breeding and seed production topics